Old, white, wrinkled and angry, they are slipping from polite society in alarming numbers. We’re losing much of a generation. They often sport hats or other clothing, some marking their status as veterans, Tea Partyers or “patriots” of some kind or another. They have yellow flags, bumper stickers and an unquenchable rage. They used to be the brave men and women who took on America’s challenges, tackling the ’60s, the Cold War and the Reagan years — but now many are terrified by the idea of slightly more affordable healthcare and a very moderate Democrat in the White House.
We’re losing people like my father to the despair of Fox News, and it’s all by design.
This article speaks directly to what’s going on with some relatives of mine. They believe every bit of fear-mongering that Fox News spews out, so of course they’re absolutely terrified about the future of our country. One in particular has taken it to a new level of paranoia. Here’s just a taste of what this person thinks is going on — it’s like reading from the All-Is-Lost Handbook For Terrified White People:
- “The liberals” are going to destroy our economy with the Affordable Healthcare Act
- We’re unfairly punishing the rich in order to satisfy Obama’s socialist agenda and redistribute their wealth to the lazy unemployed
- The Mexicans and Native Americans are all lazy and living on government handouts
- The government’s coming for our guns because they’re buying up all the country’s ammunition
- Buying gold is actually a good way to defend against the coming economic collapse
- Obama’s a Muslim and his secret agenda is to take down America in the name of Allah or whatever
The end result of all this, of course, will be the total collapse of society as we know it and having to defend your house with a shotgun from roving bands of crazies who want to rape and pillage “the good people.” This person actually talks about this stuff as if it’s actual fact, as if it’s going to happen beyond the shadow of a doubt. The evidence? Whatever Fox News says, of course. Why would they lie? They’re the only ones telling the truth out there amongst the Biased Liberal Media That’s Biased™! Why can’t you see that!!!1!!1!
A lot of what Fox News spews is directly targeted at white middle-aged folks who tend to already be afraid of the future and afraid of change. Hell, I’m only 42 and I’m already terrified of what state I’ll be in when I’m old ‘n’ creaky, but I’m at least trying to have somewhat realistic expectations — not the apocalyptic visions of a living hell on earth that Fox News is peddling.