Since moving my stuff over to WordPress a couple of months ago, I found there was a butt-load of things to do to get it all working right. This is my first self-hosted blog using real blogging software, and making the transition has been pretty time-consuming, but it’s coming along. Here’s what I’ve gotten done so far:
- Imported previous posts from Typepad, along with all comments from readers
- Moved all Typepad-hosted photos over to new domain, re-linking many by hand (super irritating since Typepad’s filenames and links are screwy)
- Redirected all links pointing to Typepad (posts referencing old posts) to the corresponding posts on totalobscurity.com
- Unpublished all Typepad posts to remove them from Google searches, then created a redirection page pointing here
- Whipped up a new logo graphic and background image
- Learned how to tweak the blog’s theme CSS to show more or less how I want
- Fixed/removed a lot of broken links and replaced a lot of missing photos which were stupidly deleted by myself a while back
- Activated comment spam filter Akismet (awesome!)
- Re-posted some items that have been offline for years (Outbursts, Braindroppings, etc.) dating back to 2000 – all with original dates
- Recreated some really old “special features” as Pages (Meth and Your Veins, Annoying Busfolk, Blurry Visions, E-Leash, etc.)
I’ve still got a long way to go on some things, though:
- Post tags – I’m going through all posts, one by one, and tagging them with keywords. It’s something I should have started with Typepad, but oh well. Trying to decide on a consistent set of words was a little tough — do I tag stories about crazy Christians as simply “christians” or do I include “religion” as well? (I decided save “religion” for generic posts about religious stuff, not Christians specifically. But the “crazies” tag still gets used a lot. 😀 ) Once this is done, I’ll put up a “tag cloud” so readers can click on the most-used tags and see what comes up. That should be interesting. Maybe I’ll put that up a little early to try it out.
- Broken links – currently there are 412 posts with links pointing to stories/pages which no longer exist. Sounds like a lot, but that’s down from 650+! So while I’m tagging stories with keywords, I’m checking links to see where they go and fixing them if possible. This is gonna take a LONG time but it’s a labor of love!
Going back and reading all those old posts has been fun, too. I usually don’t go back and read stuff I’ve posted, I just write it and move on. But now I’m looking back at some really old stuff, most of which I completely forgot I had written, and I’m noticing how things have changed over the past 10+ years. Opinions, writing style, attitudes, subject matter, volume of posts, etc. have changed quite a bit. It’s hard to believe that only 10 years ago I was a proud Libertarian-voting, Mac-using vegetarian who made fun of people who carried cellphones everywhere. These days I’m an apathetically left-leaning, Windows-using omnivore who carries his iPhone everywhere. WTF happened?!
Another interesting thing: I’ve always thought of this website/blog thing as a hobby, but I’m starting to realize that while I don’t keep a journal, this sort of serves the same purpose. Reading the archives is a fun look at how I’ve changed as a person. I don’t always like what I find when I read back that far, but whatever. As far as I’m concerned, I’m still evolving and figuring myself out…