Well, we got back into town on Friday night after 15 hours of flights and several more hours of just waiting around, either in lines or in terminals. I’m just now starting to feel somewhat normal again, and am going through the photos (1300+) to pick out the best ones to upload. Had the time of my life over there and hope to go back next year!
Some quick things I noted during our travels:
- The popped-collar look is REALLY big over there. Very very scary.
- Germans just loooooove KFC and Burger King.
- Amsterdam has more H&M stores per block than hash bars.
- EVERYBODY smokes.
- U.S. airlines have banned stick deodorant, despite what the TSA says.
- Mushrooms are really really really really really really really amazing. Really.
- You can go to a fast-food counter and order pizza with a side of fries.
- People in Amsterdam bundle up even on the most humid and muggiest of days. Maybe they don’t sweat?
- A surprisingly yummy discovery: Currywurst.
- Madonna puts on a hell of a good show, especially under the influence of certain baked goods.
It was also nice to be on a “news fast” for a couple of weeks. I didn’t read any newspapers, click on any stories, or watch any T.V., so it was interesting to come back and see all the drama about rampaging killer spinach and bigmouthed Popes. I was a little bummed about the Crocodile Hunter dying, annoying as he was at times…at least he didn’t get chomped by a croc, hmmm?
Also, you know you’re back in Seattle when the year’s first moderate rain hits and people suddenly forget how to drive. “Oh, rain! What do I do? I think I’ll slow to a crawl, just in case.” My first day back to work began with a 1.5-hour standing ride on a crowded, steamy bus that should have taken only 20 minutes…and it was only sprinkling outside.
Anyway, blah blah blah. I hope to have some pics and some notes about the trip done by next week, and maybe some blogstuff before that!